Move & Get Comfy for Labor* was designed to keep you and your birth partner moving as you practice techniques that can help during labor and birth. This class, and its accompanying videos, will make you think, making you laugh and help you feel ready for the big day!
This class is a two-part class. Part One is online on a weeknight. Part Two is on a weekend and can be attended by some registrants in-person in Northborough, MA and at the same time some registrants will be taking the class via live video (still interactive--we'll give you tips for position and movement through the screen after we demonstrate it to you). When you register, you'll be able to indicate whether you prefer Part Two in-person or virtual (there are limited spots for in-person).
Who should take this class?
- If you are about to have your first baby and took a class elsewhere and aren't feeling quite ready, this class is for you!
- If you didn't take a class but now realize you should and only have time for one at this point, this class is for you! (Note: if you have a couple months to go, though, check out the packages of classes that we offer.)
- If you are hoping for an unmedicated birth or want to delay getting an epidural until later in your labor, this class if for you!
- If you are planning for an epidural but still know the benefits of movement in labor (before AND after getting the epidural) and still want your partner to know how to help, this class is for you!
- If this is your second or third baby and you just want a review OR you want to know more than you did last time
- If you are planning for a VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean), this class is for you!
- Or, maybe you're looking for an opportunity for a fun pre-baby date with your partner? Plan for a yummy dinner together after class.
What is Included in Class?
- This class is a two-part class. Part One is online for everyone, there are two options per month to choose from. Part Two is online for some and in-person for others (you choose, unless the in-person slots are full, they are limited).
- Before class, you'll be expected to watch two important (but short!) films as pre-class homework and you'll receive details about those after you register for class (they will cost you about $5 each to stream online).
- During class,
- you'll practice doing 20+ positions and moves for labor and birth
- we'll discuss optimal fetal positioning and how you can help your cervix and pelvis open for your baby's birth
- partners will learn how to best support the birthing person while they're in labor so they can feel like they are active participants in the process
- we'll talk about how touch and the labor and birth environment really make a difference
- we'll discuss how to use warmth, cold, scents, taste, lighting, music, pressure, massage and water therapy to help with labor
- we'll touch on how different ways of breathing and vocalizing can help at different times in labor, the kinds of affirmations and repeated phrases that can work well
- you'll learn which hand-held tools can be used to help with labor
- we'll touch on how you can advocate for yourself with your birth team to ask for what you want
- pregnant participants will gain confidence that their birth partner knows how to help during labor
- After class, you'll receive additional "homework", including a Move & Get Comfy for Labor Guide© you can print at home along with lots of other great articles and resources online just for class participants.
Couples are expected to be together, whether they choose virtual or in-person (so you cannot have one of you in-person and one of you virtual).
This class is currently held as a partly-virtual and partly in-person class (unless you want it to be entirely virtual).
During the everyone-virtual portion, you will also be seen by the other participants, particularly when you are asking a question or making a comment (especially during the very brief participant introductions). Your instructor will be talking with you, show you some slides and some video content and we'll be talking about what you see. Part Two is where we'll practice positions, movement and techniques with your birth partner. You'll get more details before class about what to have with you for class.
If you come to the in-person portion, everyone is expected to be well-masked and each couple (pregnant person and their support person) will be distanced and a high-quality air purifier will be running in the large room. The instructors will approach you, touch you/your partner to help you with positions--when appropriate and if okay with you. You'll get more details before class about what to bring with you.
a weekday evening from 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Wednesday, June 1
Wednesday, June 15
Tuesday, August 16
Wednesday, August 17
Wednesday, September 14
Thursday, September 15
Wednesday, October 12
Thursday, October 13
Thursday, November 10
Wednesday, November 16
Thursday, December 8
Wednesday, December 14
a Sunday evening, 5:00 - 7:00 pm (unless otherwise noted)
only virtual spots remain for the 6/19 class at 5pm BUT if there's enough demand for more in-person spots, we may be able to open a second class earlier the same day!
...you could take the New Baby & Postpartum Ready class, the Breastfeeding Ready class and the Prepared Childbirth with this class and save!
Who & How Much?
The fee is per "couple" means one pregnant person and their partner, or a non-pregnant friend or relative--someone who will be with you during your labor or someone who can teach everything they learned to that person!
This is a two-part class, each part lasts 2 hours, on two different days.
$145 per couple
Note that when you click the purple button on the left to register, you'll purchase a "package" of two classes, Part One and Part Two. Once registered, you'll receive an email that will have a CODE that you use to "pay" for each class date you want. Be sure to do this part...but email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
"My husband and I attended the move and get comfy course 9/7/19. This class is a MUST and wish it was provided to all parents versus the hospital prenatal courses. The class gives you real tools for laboring, how your partner, and care providers can support you. It gives you insight on how the “industry” of labor has changed dramatically in past 30 years. How to advocate for yourself and feel confident in your birth plan. The class also highlights the amazing and beautiful parts of giving birth. The power of a woman’s body, its phenomenal ability, and deep connection of mamas and babies."
~ Michaela Dardy
"I also wanted to write a little comment about the "Move & Get Comfy for Labor" class that Dallas and I took with you before Harper was born last year. After having 2 previous births both which I planned to do natural, I was missing the confidence and empowerment for each, caving for the epidural at 8+ cm. After meeting with Jeanette, leaning how to trust my body and find positions to really allow me to push through that "hump" I previously struggled to go over I was emotionally ready for my third labor. After this class, I was able to with really enjoy labor with my new found confidence, knowledge and awareness. I was armed with the tools my partner and I both needed and we had the natural birth I was hoping for :). Thank you, Jeanette!"
~ Angela Mall
"My husband and I took the move and get comfy for labor class this past weekend. It was great, the class is listed as 5 hours long but trust me it does not feel that long. It's a ton of great information and a ton of laughs. My husband and I feel even more ready and even more excited for our little cub to enter this world. Jeanette's humor and passion for her trade is clearly shown and I felt that it makes the class awesome and of course all the great things you learn. we definitely recommend!"
~ Sabrina Franco
"First time parents here and We are so grateful for all the Babies in Common classes that we were able to attend. New baby and Postpartum ready , Breastfeeding ready, and Move and get comfy were the classes we attended and let me tell you they made such a difference! The tips and hands-on help you receive in each class are invaluable. We’ve utilized pretty much everything we learned. Our parents are so jealous they wish they knew all we did now thanks to the classes!! Listen, make your life and labor easier and take these classes!! You won’t regret it."
~ Sarah Mahan
"Great classes taught by a seasoned former doula. I drove out from Boston for the "Move and Get Comfy for Labor" class and it was worth it. There were lots of practical strategies for getting through labor and it was very helpful for both my husband and I."
~ Bec Katz
*This class is the first and original Movement and Comfort for Labor class in Central MA...created by childbirth educators Jeanette Mesite Frem, Chere Jalali and Joyce Kimball.
Don't miss any updates or news from Babies in Common, opt-in to the Babies in Common mailing list. Don't worry, we don't send too many emails, we promise. And we'll never share your email with anyone!