Recipe by Jeanette Mesite Frem (but adapted from the Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe by Quaker)
- 2 sticks organic butter, melted**
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (melt with the butter!)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour*
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups traditional oats
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
*or replace flour with your favorite gluten-free flour
** or use one glass jar of organic coconut oil, melt (without the cap on) in microwave for 3 minutes...if you do this option, add all dry ingredients together except chocolate and then add melted coconut oil...then stir thoroughly, then add eggs and chocolate and stir again.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, mix butter and sugars until creamy or melted together.
- Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix.
- Add chocolate chips; mix well.
- You may need to add some warm water by spoonfuls just to moisten the dough more.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to cool on wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered, but eat quickly as they are soft and may get even softer in storage.
2.5 DOZEN (if small tablespoonfuls)
1.5 DOZEN (if large heaping tablespoonfuls)